Monday, August 1, 2011

Featured artist: Marupura


Hello to you all.

The sunny month august brings us a new featured artist article. This time we travel to Osaka in Japan. Marupura takes us to his fantastic world of asian art. Some typicaly japanese style elements are high visible in some of his works, which are really nice.

Stay creative
Chris

The artist
1. How old are you?
33 years old.

2. Where are you currently living?
Live in Osaka in Japan. It is very humid…

What are you doing, when you switch your PC off? Do you have other hobbies?
I don’t know if this is good or bad for me, but making 3DCG is almost my only hobby. However, sometime I play video games (TEKKEN), taking photographs, and taking a small trip with my new car.

About the work
1. How did you get the idea to be an digital artist, why digital?
I liked digital art from since most of it was in 8bit. (What it is called a dot picture)
And, I liked traditional clay sculpting. Therefore, I think that it is natural to start 3D computer-generated art.Above all, if it is digital, the hand won’t get dirty either!

2. Do you have a special aducation in arts?
I studied CG at an art school for two years when I was 20. However, I still think that I want to study a pure art.

3. Are you employed or do you work freelance?I have been employed.

4. Which recent projects were the most important for you?
It is “Yoshimitsu”. The first character I made using 3D-coat. I felt great possibility in 3D-coat, and this experience made my way of making digital art in good way.  And above all, there’s nothing more fun than making your beloved character!

5. Which project was a particular challenge for you?
This is what I’m working on right now though, I’m trying to make an character figure kit out of 3D-CG model. I have already made “Yoshimitsu” and it was pretty exciting. It’s worth trying because it needs new and knowledge.

6. Where do you get your ideas from?
Drive on car, on pillow, and on lavatory… It is time when it relaxes in a word :-)
And the photograph becomes a very good idea resource in both technical and art thoughts. The lens, the film, and the composition … All are good for me.

7. Are you working with references or is all your work from imagination?
The work of a sculpting becomes very good reference.
Work of "Takayuki Takeya"http://bit.ly/kFR5So (I started the clay sculpture, influenced by his work.)
ShiflettBros http://www.shiflettbrothers.com/
Simon Lee http://www.bigbluetree.com/
When making an organic thing and imaginable creature, of course, a large amount of animal photographs will be collected.

8. What are your plans as an artist for the future?
3D output first of all. And, Unity Web Player.

9. Which software are you using for your work, and which hardware?
Of course 3D-Coat! And, PhotoshopElement. It is roughly enough by these two software.
I want to master various softwares to make the work, according to occasions.
However, it is easy to be as simple as possible when making it as a hobby.

And, about hardware: I am working all by laptop. (Sony VaioZ) with a small pen-tablet (Wacom
Bamboo). Laptop of Sony is small and very powerful.

10. Which tool do you like the most and never want to miss?
Of course 3D-Coat! The paint mode is indispensable in 3D-Coat. Applying material, and the sculpture can be done at the same time. It might be only 3D-Coat to be able to do it.

The portfolio
1. If you are more interested in Marupuras work, feel free and visit his website:
Marupuras blog: http://marupura.wordpress.com/
"It was influenced by the blog of Christoph .( It is the blog at which you are looking right now!)
Tips & Tricks of 3D-Coat and my WIPs are recorded though it is written in Japanese."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful digital sculptures!I like them.Original with a touch of class in technique and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete